Well, we have just put in our first real day here in Seoul, South Korea. What an amazing day. To start we woke up at 5:30am - on our own due to jet lag, hand headed out for an early walk to get coffee, as mentioned in our earlier post. Liam and I shared a room with the Shutts (Leevi and Janet), and slept on the floor of a rather nice room. Surprisingly, the foam pads we used, were very comfortable.
After having a breakfast sandwich, we boarded the bus to begin touring. We visited the DMZ and then we were off to the Observatory where we could see North Korea. The weather was very hazy so it was difficult to really see anything. It is amazing how close the two countries are by way of distance, but how very different they are in many other ways.
We had a lovely lunch of cold noodles, and I mean COLD... they came in steal bowls, with ice cold water - we loved it! Liam too. He is doing very well with the Korean Cuisine.
Afterwards, we stopped at the bank to do some money exchanging... quite a task that was! ;o) After we had our official welcoming ceremony by the sponsoring company, we met our host families of whom we will share the next 4 nights (including tonight). Our host family had to travel back home today (a 10 hour drive), so we went to dinner with the Shutts and VanZwol host families. We are now here at our host family... and they do not speak any English! They have two grown children, thier son apparently a Gold Medalist in gymnastics (the rings?). They live on the 3rd floor, with no elevator. Needless to say, I think I will need my chiropractor when I get home.... lugging up all that luggage...LOL.
Liam and I are sharing a single bed to sleep on, but I think tomorrow he will get the padding on the floor ...lol! He did so well today with very little sleep. And if it is even possible, he is making me more proud of him, and he is really absorbing in the culture.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) we will hopefully meet his foster mother. We will visit the Korean Social Welfare, where Liam spent the first 2 months of his life, and his foster mom has been invited to join us, along with other foster mothers of the other adoptees. Liam's FM has a daughter in law that is expecting a baby - tomorrow of all days. So, assuming that she does not go into labour, Mrs. Hong should be able to meet with us. Fingers crossed that she does.
Anyhow, I am on our host families' computer, and the connection is really slow. We will post photos when we move to a location with high speed.
Hope everyone is doing well... time for me to go to sleep.
Take care,
Lisa and Liam
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Lisa and Liam, Wow a jam packed day...I would love to taste those ice noodles. Dad says hi and sends love..he is out at Rock Lake cutting grass and other stuff. He had a technical problem when he tried to reply himself to the blog, so Auntie is sending his note for him. Get some good rest and have fun tomorrow. Can't wait to read more!! Love you bunches, Auntie P X0X0
ReplyDeleteWow Liam I am so proud of you, glad to hear you and your mom are doing fine.. hope you get a bigger bed soon :) I am looking forward to seeing some photos of the both of you on your trip. Give mom a big hug for me and tell her to give one back to you for me too. :) I Really don't know about the cold noodles .. I think I would prefer them at least warm. lol ... Have a good day. Enjoy and take in every little thing you can so you can tell me all about it when you get home.
ReplyDeleteLove you lots
Grandma Louiene and Peper
So how was your night hope you slept well... it sure is hot here today glad Peper put the airconditioner in last Sat. I am looking forward to reading your next post about your day hope it was a good one....
ReplyDeleteLove you lots
Grandma Louiene
Hi Lisa and Liam,
ReplyDeleteI see there is no new news today. You must be having a jam filled day. All is fine here. George only woke me up once last night so I am not as tired. He is eating now and seems more relaxed at my house.
Blair is going to start my renovations next week. I am very excited about that.
Hope things are going well.
Love,
Aunty Jan
xxoo
Hi Liam and Lisa, Sophie is excited to hear all about the noodles! How is eating with chop sticks?
ReplyDeleteYou aren't missing much at school. Sophie says it's BORING!!!!!
Have fun and stay safe!
Sophie and Mara
Good morning Liam and Lisa: So did the baby arrive yet? Hope you were able to meet with Mrs. Hong. I was checking my calender and noticed that Liam's Birthday is on Fathers Day this year.:) I will check in again later to see if you are able to access a computer and leave us some more exciting news about your trip.
ReplyDeleteLove you lots - ooxx
oops! forgot to say who sent you the above comment ... it's me ... Grandma Louiene .... :)
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa and Liam well it is 3:16 am June 19th where you are and I am sure you are sound asleep by now. Since you haven't put anything on here yet I am wondering if you don't have a computer or just don't have the time.. if it is a time issue can you post a comment on here like we are just so we all know that you are both ok and having a good time. It has been real nice weather here actually a little to hot :)..Waiting to hear from you!
ReplyDeleteLove you lots
Grandma Louiene